Hello, I’m Mario Brcic. I’m an Assistant Professor at the Department of Applied Computing, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University of Zagreb. I am also a proud member of HPC Architecture and Application Research Center.
My main research focus is in the areas that intersect operations research and artificial intelligence.
Over the years I have participated in several EU funded research projects and a number of national projects with industry and government. The research projects were concerned with project management optimization, and scientific applications of high performance computing.
I have participated in several EU funded research projects and a number of national projects with industry and government. The research projects were concerned with the optimizing and controlling risks in projects, applications of data analytics, optimization and machine learning in high performance computing systems, and utilization of machine learning for anomaly detection in industrial computational systems.
I am a reviewer for many respected journals and international conferences, as well as project proposals for foreign science foundations.
I am member of IEEE. I am also a member of Croatian Operations Research Society (CRORS), which itself is a member of The International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS), and Association of European Operational Research Societies (EURO).
This site showcases some of the research I’ve done, including my CV, and also blog on scientific topics that spark my curiosity.
Research interests: operations research, machine learning, reinforcement learning, stochastic combinatorial optimization, deep learning, scheduling, simulation
Please feel free to contact me regarding research cooperation, project opportunities, and other common professional topics.
- Krleža, D., Vrdoljak, B. & Brčić, M. (2020) Statistical hierarchical clustering algorithm for outlier detection in evolving data streams. Machine learning, 1, 1, 40 doi:10.1007/s10994-020-05905-4.
- Brčić, M., Katić, M. & Hlupić, N. (2019) Planning horizons based proactive rescheduling for stochastic resource-constrained project scheduling problems. European Journal of Operational Research, 273 (1), 58-66 doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2018.07.037.
- Krleža, D., Vrdoljak, B. & Brčić, M. (2019) Latent Process Discovery Using Evolving Tokenized Transducer. IEEE access, 7, 169657-169676 doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2955245.
- Došilović, F., Brčić, M. & Hlupić, N. (2018) Explainable Artificial Intelligence: A Survey. U: Skala, K. (ur.) Proceedings of the 41st International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics MIPRO 2018. Rijeka, Croatia, Croatian Society for Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics – MIPRO, str. 210-215 doi:10.23919/MIPRO.2018.8400040.
- Brčić, M. & Mlinarić, D. (2018) Tracking Predictive Gantt Chart for Proactive Rescheduling in Stochastic Resource Constrained Project Scheduling. Journal of information and organizational sciences, 42 (2), 179-192 doi:10.31341/jios.42.2.2.
- Brčić, M. & Hlupić, N. (2017) Cloud-Distributed Computational Experiments for Combinatorial Optimization. U: MIPRO 2017 – 40th Jubilee International Convention Proceedings.. Opatija, Hrvatska, str. 214-218.
- Beroš, I., Hlupić, N. & Brčić, M. (2015) Computational aspects of efficient estimation of harmonically related sine-waves. Automatika : časopis za automatiku, mjerenje, elektroniku, računarstvo i komunikacije, 56 (3), 359-366 doi:10.7305/automatika.2015.12.687.
Selection of student theses and projects I have supervised:
- Controlling the distribution network with a deep reinforcement learning-based agent
- Artificial intelligence alignment using debate
- Intelligent agent for Tetris
- Program library of time scheduling methods
- Visualizing race competitors movements using Cesium platform
- A generic framework for automatic dictation correction